Friday, March 25, 2011

Basket Weaver, 24x24x2

Another of the native American series...a woman weaving baskets, this being a study for a larger piece that will show some of her baskets all around her...I think the forms will be interesting in the strong light.  My favorite thing about these paintings is the costuming, if you will...the opportunity to work with the colors and textures of decoration and draping of the clothing...not that it has to be luxurious, but just the layers and variety of fabrics and colors and the excuse to pile on the paint and smash it around...this will get expensive as these canvases get expansive, but I think the larger scale will be yield looser drawing...I am trying to get farther and farther away from the canvas with the brushwork...to the point of adding extensions to my large brushes... (can you say stick this brush into a 3-4 foot bamboo cutting?  Now that, friends, will get you away from the canvas!)
See my website for better views of this and other work. Thanks for looking at my art!  Best, Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment